Monday, June 5, 2017

Facilitator Accelerator Program - listen to the music

When the exciting opportunity became available to participate in - what is now known as, the Facilitator Accelerator program I was - excited, beyond excited perhaps almost bordering on fervent. I was anticipating the addition of yet another layer of thinking.  My fervour to add another layer of thinking to the already busy world of day to day seems sometimes like a form of self-sabbotage but the lure of the 'lightbulb moment' is too intense.  
This addition of another dimension to my world I liken to listening to multiple playlists🎶, where I tune into the day to day pop & rock playlist of facilitating induction, attending meetings and planning for facilitation and then when do I get time to listen to the soulful soundtrack🎶 of the course that I am completing I might have to do this late at night, after I have listened to the rhythm & blues playlist of dinner, washing up, bath time and family time.
Sometimes when I am listening to the day to day I hear similarities to the soundtrack of the course I am completing. This recognition is exciting because it is as if the playlists are not completely adjacent but rather could perhaps one day be combined to be played as a mixed playlist of music 🎶that fits together and makes sense, 
even though each song is independent one makes sense next to the other. 
There are those other times when the noise is too loud from one playlist and distracts me from the soundtrack🎶 I should be currently listening to. I ask myself questions like 'Do I need to listen to the whole playlist?', How do I hear what I need to hear when I need to hear it? These questions are all about me using my time efficiently however sometimes it seems when I relax and just listen to where the music takes me I am led to the 'lightbulb moments' that are the reason I was listening in the first place.

1 comment:

Kim Mc said...

In response to my blogpost above my colleagues have posed some thoughtfully challenging questions (on our Facilitator Accelerator Yammer forum https://www.yammer.com/suncorp.com.au/threads/901703368) to assist me in making sense of my thinking.
Jess was interested in my thoughts (and feelings) about music, she was interested in the genres of music that I listen to and the concept of the music directing me, rather than me directing the music. Jess' curiosity required me to point out the irony of the fact that I do not listen to music very often. For me there is a degree of shame around this point, as someone who prides themselves on their sensitivity for the visual arts, I must admit I have always lacked a complete appreciation for the musical arts. Perhaps that is an opportunity for retrospect at another time.
A question from Flo queried if my reflection was about being efficient (i.e. time management) or prioritising (i.e. purpose management)? My conclusion - that this thinking relates to purpose management, whilst time management is 'always' an issue for me I realise that achieving a lightbulb moment is not necessarily related to efficiencies of time or workload management but in fact about letting ideas and concepts sit and sometimes settle, then recognising when these concepts become relevant and therefore useful to us.
I am now pondering the intersection of relevance and learning. I'm wondering where we as facilitators play a role in the sense making process for learners. How we support the learner in aligning the concepts or models that we present in a learning program and assisting them to make sense of how this is relevant in their world. Recognising that sometimes the 'relevance' is not something that happens in the half day program of learning - it may happen days or weeks later.
Is this fundamentally what our role is - or should be? How does our role now contrast to Learning in the workplace of the future? As we move to more opportunities for self-directed learning for individuals where, and when, will the learning facilitator, or perhaps more appropriately the learning professional intervene or be available.
As always my thinking and reflection has generated more questions than answers.